Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sunday - Tour of KILLER CITY (Kansas City)


Sunday - Down Town Lee Summit

You can find photos for both days by Amyamykatherinephotography.smugmug.com & 
Tim http://www.facebook.com/timfleenorphoto

Joe and I show up again watching a bit of 5s and the following races.  I pre-ride the course specially 4th turn I practice my lines because it’s a sketchy turn with no marking for the corner you could dive bomb it but it you turn it to hard you’ll hit gravel, plus it was HOT and the tare was sticky-melting so your rear wheel would feel like it was sliding out or your skewer was loose.

Joe and Charley come in 2nd and 3rd for the Cat 4’s really awesome to see!  Joe crushed it for the sprint.  I head over to the car and David pulls up we chat and joke around like we usually do and I mention that I came to race today.  Even told Kent Woermann that I was going to make a risky move today on gChat.

The Break with Justin & I
 The race begins, normal fast 3-4 laps Brady goes off the front, but I also know he raced that day but no one goes or ups the speed so I do ride away with out burning a match I wanted to see how people would respond to me trying to get away, I work with Brady a few laps I don’t remember how many but we stay away for 3-5 at least and are joined with Justin and Brady wants to pull the plug so Brady does. Justin and I talk and go stay away for a 8 laps or less I notice that I have to do more pulling and that Justin is slowing down when he has to pull through, I ask him if he is alright, he says he’s okay but I had a feeling that he wasn’t 'ok', so i figure if I pulled a bit more maybe he would feel better just pedaled at my own speed and didn’t pedal hard that if we got caught I would have nothing.  We soon get caught by a big attack from Richard from Momentum and David who has been blocking for us with John but I think John stays with the Peloton.  We work with them for a few laps and get caught, David reminds me to save it!  8-10 guys catch us, no one attacks…. That’s fine by me.  I also see that Brian isn’t in the group and I am a bit pissed about that.  We ride really slow 18mph and we have 20 guys at least chasing, and I tell the group why are we not working together there are 10 of us come on.  David rides at the front slowly waiting for someone to come around no one does and David slows down on corners so people have to ride by him.  I pull in front of David so he can rest out of the wind and pedal slow, so when ever David and I aren’t in the front maybe one guy comes through or 3-4 abreast and they look at each other as if someone needs to ride hard at the front… So at turn 1 & 4, no one wants to ride at the front and we are usually to wide going into these corners with no speed what so ever, so at turn 4 I am second wheel into the turn we come out I pull over slightly to get a gap behind me and the guy fills it slowly and I pull over to the outside to gutter anyone wants to come with me and keep looking at the group we have to see if anyone responds, nothing happens, I keep up my tempo a bit more, no response, I see a guy swing to where I am and I swing the other way do this two times before he gives up and I’ve already punching it through the start finish with 16 laps to go for a solo get away… That’s how it starts with that move. 

The move

David was with the peloton and he just sucked the wheels that attacked and never pulled through for them, thank you David! I had a 40 second cap for a few laps and it came down 15 at one point that was when the heat was getting to me and I started get water thrown on me and I got 2 hands ups from the family at Dairy Cream that I asked when I ran out of water they are beautiful people as I told them, they loved that!  I tell myself I am in this now there is no going back and getting caught isn’t an option, you have to go all in now and I get my gap of 40-50 seconds, I do my best to TT through the start finish since I can get 30-34mph through there and recover on the backside.  I was so happy at the end that I could only smile and role through the start finish.
Was very happy!
I keep telling people I forgot I didn’t want to get yelled at for taking my hands off the bars but I rather keep it humble also.   There is always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment