Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Saturday - Tour of Kansas City


TOUR OF KILLER CITY (KC)
CAT III CREW Brian, I, Grayson, & David

Saturday at Tour of Kansas City its 49th Year!  That’s pretty awesome being apart of something that has been around for this long and it’s only my second road season.  Please come out and Join for the 50th year also some rumor is going around and will most likely happen because The Museum over on Cliff Drive wants the bike race back for a Crit! Should be awesome supposedly Killer City (KC) is known for this course and I’ve done some training rides out there its would be killer course.

Saturday’s race: Joe and I rolled up in his dynamo truck and watched some of the3/4’s race and shortly after Joe had to get ready to put his game face on.  I did my best to find shade and just drink water and eat light before the 3’s race.  I know it’s a local race but it’s demanding on your body to do TWO races in one day.  With a 3-hour waiting period between ¾’s, woman 1-2-3, 3’s but that’s pretty demanding on your body.  Before you know it heat will be getting to you and heat will eat away at all that muscle you built up!

You can’t tell me that you are doing this for fitness or training.  These local races should be your top race even though they are at home its also almost the end of road season out in the Midwest so performing well should be a must and not killing your self in the heat is a better idea.  

Its Hot!

So our race starts and I start 2/3 row that’s pretty much the tail end of us racing because we get a 3 lane start that narrows down to 1 lane and you have to single file the first turn because they where some nasty crashes in other categories and I don’t think anyone wanted to go down.  So we kept it fast and safe for this corner always telling people to get in now or get to the back.  I stuck behind some people that couldn’t clip in so I made up ground with Brian since he likes to start in the back and work his way up, we made our way up to middle and top 15 around lap 3 or 4 because turn 4 you could get some nice speed going up the hill on the outside if you had a nice turn before hand with no one on there brakes or you could hug that corner really hard and make it out with out hitting that nasty crack-bump in the road.  David and Kenney where sitting at the front easy and tearing it up and I saw that John Leopold made a move up the road he was brought back and dropped a little later, another attack goes and brought back and Justin Leopold makes a move through the start finish and maybe one guy goes with him and get dropped and Leopold stays away for a lap and a half so I make my move on 4th turn 4 to get at the front sit and attack at the start finish find Justin but he is already dying so I pass him and wait because I brought a guy with me that was already not doing well.  I look back and Justin doesn’t want to come along so I solo for 3 laps and David comes to save me around turn 4 and I suck his wheel because no one was behind him and we just soft pedal and David reminds me to save the energy.  I love having a teammate specially when they remind you to save it! Final lap Justin makes his move on turn 7 where its sketchy and it works he gets a nice gap we kind of pull him back people start there sprint once we hit the flat Justin gets 3rd David 5th and I 6th.  We did okay just didn’t have the proper gears or something going into the corner after Justin made that move we had to slow down all good though. Risky – gusty moves can win you a race and Justin isn’t on TC/PC but he is a nice guy we have been racing all year and he comes out with his brother John on training rides and Justin does have a few more season then me I don’t know about David. 
The Sprint with a lot of guys that are dead for the top 5


No comments:

Post a Comment