Monday, August 13, 2012

KBAR Champ CAT III

KS State Road Race - in Arma KS
Last road race for KBAR and I am 19 points off from 1st place.  Justin Leopold didn’t show up for the crit neither the road race so that’s allows be to place top 5 at minimum to take first in KBAR.
The race has some faces and kits I do know and have raced against in previous races, the race last year and years past people just gun it from the start because there isn’t a neutral start so that’s how groups from years past have won the race out right.  The race started like this but one would let Kent or a few of the Walmark/Baught Financial get away.  Strong teams like Athlete Forward, Walmark, Kent, & Spencer I had to look out for.  I had a few teammates there Joe Anderson, Blake Romine, Kenny Englart, and Spencer if he still counts us at TC/PC.  There were a few attacks back to back and nothing really took away and a lap back through the start finish attacks came again with Levi Baker, Benjamin Silk, and Ryan Heydenryth where up the road, a walkmark and Athlete Forward where up the road so those these teams didn’t work at all at the front with a lot of blocking by both, Joe finally took me up to the front and I launched myself off his speed with a good dig of an attack.  I bridge up just after the 4th turn and Levi is the only one that is strong in this group out of all of them, later on Kent join our group and we have a 5 man break away with a 3 or 4 min lead, out final lap out on the 3rd lap we get caught by a train and there is an official with a timer that me water and shade as I wait on the other side of the tracks,  we get a 3-4 min lead because the field stops at the train tracks also and so coming back in for the finish was easier without the headwind.  Levi ups the speed on the final climb and rides in the gutter but there wasn’t enough wind to do something like that tactically and he is definitely hurting but doesn’t show it Kent, Levi and I are all abreast at the crest of the hill and Kent punches it, I don’t really have any gas because I feel my cramp about to grab the muscles in my inner thigh and they do before the finally turn for the sprint, Levi has a good gap but Kent rides away with no one on his wheel for the win, Levi 2nd, I try and do my best to shake the walkmart guy-Ryan and I can’t and cramp at the turn and slow down, Ryan at this time has already pulled in front of me because I put in so much of an effort ride him off my wheel that he also sits up with a cramp some where I am sure because he has to take his foot out of his pedal to roll in to the finish same for me.  I end up 4th wishing that I got 3rd because it was mine because Ryan never really worked in the breakaway.  I win KBAR meaning that I get free entrée to any of the KBAR races next year. 


I will most likely cat up after Perry Dam/Spring Fling Crit because I don’t have enough points but I am sure I could still get upgraded but it doesn’t make sense + Kent is my coach and we talked about it makes better sense just doing it than.  I am not worried about Cat 2’s about wining or anything just can end on a good note now and making a solid transition through next season with a few Cat 3 races into Cat 2.  I am really excited for the Cat 2, has been a big goal of mine since this season and I am ready but makes no sense getting your mind blown out the back of your head on your last 2-3 races of the year and start from there next year might really hurt a racer mind.  Plus I can help out some teammates for these last few races in Cat 3!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment